Just These Please are back in Edinburgh this August with their brand new show Suitable. And it totally is. You may be one of the 22 million people who watched their viral online sketch When You Order Coffee With an Irish Name or perhaps you caught their five-star Fringe debut in 2018. They are back for another year at the Fringe. Just These Please spoke with The Fountain about the new show and offered up a full list of tips for first time performers.
TF: You are performing at the Edinburgh Fringe this year, how excited are you?
We are indeed performing at this year’s Edinburgh Fringe at the Gilded Balloon again and we are beyond thrilled. We’ve spent the past eight months working on our brand-new show, which we’ve previewed at the Brighton Fringe and Ireland’s Kilkenny Cat Laughs comedy festival – Just These Please have gone international #tropical.
TF: Your show certainly sounds intriguing, what is the premise?
It’s a fast-paced sketch show. We perform 27 sketches in 55 minutes, each sketch completely different from the last. It is quite traditional in style a la Mitchell and Webb or French and Saunders. That’s right, we said ‘a la’. We’ve got three songs, one rap, 27 accents, 83 characters and 60 seats to fill in the Gilded Balloon Teviot, 12.15, every day.
TF: And what drove the project, where do your influences lie?
We took our first ever hour-long show to the Fringe last year and it went very well. The success of that coupled with our love of deep-fried mars bars and ambition to write an even better show pushed us forth. That’s right, we said ‘forth’. We’re all big fans of Victoria Wood and John Finnemore. A lot of our influences come from our sketchy peers who we absolutely adore PÖJJ, NewsRevue, MOTHER and Hot Mess to name but a few.
TF: What are your plans for the Fringe, having been before are there any tips or musts you would offer to first-time performers?
1. Eat Vegetables. We didn’t eat enough vegetables, lads. Unless bread is a vegetable, in which case we’re fine.
2. There are some lovely toilets upstairs in Gilded Balloon Teviot. Avoid the queues, do the poos.
3. When watching the fireworks on the last night you can get a great view from Greyfriars Bobby’s Graveyard. We were told this by a shadowy figure who may have been a ghost.
4. Arthur’s Seat is great to hike up, but it is WAY further than you think.
5. See shows. If you like one, tell people. It is the kindest thing you can do for another company – word of mouth does more than any amount of flyering can.
TF: And what are your future plans, beyond the Fringe?
Firstly, we will sleep for an entire week and Google whether you can get kale IV dripped into you. Then, we’ll be launching our YouTube Channel. After the success of our latest video When You Order Coffee With An Irish Name, we are soon to launch Season 1 and will be releasing a brand-new sketch every Monday coming soon! That’s right, we said ‘soon’.
You can see Suitable at Gilded Balloon Balcony from 31st July – 25th August (not 19th) from 12:15pm. For tickets, please visit www.edfringe.com